*Yes, I did mean to spell that 'lerned'. I thought it was funny, so back off!
So here is my cliche New Years post. Before anyone gets excited, I am not going to list any resolutions here. Not that I don't believe in resolutions or that I'm scared of being accountable to anyone-- just that I don't have any. My 'resolution' is just to keep on going and be happy. Hopefully I don't need a constant reminder of this anytime.
So as I was thinking about last year, I realized that I had been through a LOT! I was going through different situations in my mind and thinking about what I learned and what I could have done differently. There are a few things that came to mind.
I finally got a new job! Yeah for patience and faith! I absolutely love my job and I can't believe that I'm one of the lucky people in the world who actually get to do what they want to and love. I definitely don't take it for granted and hope that I never do. Yup- I learned a lot from that experience, but not enough....
I got two new adorable nephews! They are so stinkin' cute! Little L and B are just so great and so different from each other! I love making them smile! From them (and the fabulous Miss M) I learned about unconditional love. I think that it will be the same but stronger when I have my own kids and realize that I love them so much and I just met them! It's amazing. And yes, I know you're thinking this- I will definitely be the fun aunt that gets them all riled up and then sends them home. You're welcome brothers!
I went on a few trips. Had a good time. Laughed a lot more than I should. Still not enough.
I have come to recognize the thing that has affected me the most this year, and probably for the rest of my life. This summer, one of my friends was tragically killed when she fell off a waterfall while hiking. It was horrible. I just never expected to lose anyone like that ever, I mean- we're in the prime of our life here! It was rough. Heartwrenching. But I learned so much. I learned that even when you feel helpless, Heavenly Father will help you. I learned that I belong to the most amazing ward ever. I learned that I have the best friends who are always there for me whenever I need them. I learned that sometimes you just have to let go and let the Atonement work in your life. I learned that the Plan of Salvation is real. I learned that we have a loving Father in Heaven who lets us suffer on Earth so we can become better people. I learned that there is good in so many people like the search and rescue teams who put themselves in danger to help find her and the thousands of people she didn't even know who came to her memorial service, among many more. I learned that even in times of grief, there can still be joy as you remember the good times. I learned that sometimes I'm stronger than I thought I could be. I learned that sometimes you can't get answers to your questions, and you just to have faith that everything is fine (the thought that she was afraid or in pain makes me sick). I learned that I'm no good at giving sympathy- but I am amazing at sitting and crying with people. I learned that I KNOW that Kim is in a better place and just as happy (if not more so) than she was here. I learned that whenever I see a yellow flower, I'll remember my dear friend. I learned that although things seem like they are no fair and there is no reason for horrible things to happen- they need to so we can grow and become stronger. I learned that Kim was ready to die, and that I should prepare myself for that too- make sure that I am ready to meet my God at any moment. I learned that "...all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God." (D&C 101:16)
*Ok, a lot of these things I already knew- but I obviously needed to be reminded of them.
11 years ago
1 comments:
Great food for thought, Nicole!
Post a Comment