BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, September 22, 2008

Random musings

A bunch of peeps went to dinner for Jason & Dave's birthday.  I was talking to Sandra and said something about the fact that I have a girl crush on Kelly Clarkson.  It seems like all the other conversations at the table came to a screeching halt.  This is what everyone talked about the whole night- and the fact that Don went on 80 blind dates in a year... wow.


Girls can say that they have crushes on other girls- but boys can't admit to having man crushes.  Or at least they won't in the presence of girls.  All the boys at dinner were saying that they didn't have any man crushes.  I think that's a bunch of crap.  In my opinion, there is nothing sexual or anything about having a crush on another girl.  It's not like I want to stalk Kelly Clarkson until she agrees to make out with me in a dark corner (even just typing that I felt gross).  But, if I was ever given the opportunity to hang out with her- I couldn't sign up fast enough.  I just think that she is super cool and I would like to be friends- the only benefit of that friendship would be backstage passes to her concerts!

I do know some boys who admit to having man crushes.  Not surprisingly, the objects of their crushes coincide with a lot of girls real crushes.  For example, Shia LeBoeuf, Matthew McConaughey, Josh Duhamel... I've even heard a Matthew Fox in there!  

Here is my hypothesis.  You develop a 'crush' on a member of the same sex because you notice in them a characteristic that you would like to have in yourself.  For example, I admire Kelly Clarkson because she is very successful, but also seems very approachable.  She doesn't take things for granted.  She is still very small-town, but has made the leap into stardom without it ruining her morals.  She is assertive and stands up for herself, but in a sweet kind of way.  Who wouldn't want to be like that?  (Besides,  I heard 'Breakaway' for the first time as I was driving- moving from my small town in Idaho to Los Angeles.  Listen to the words- that song was written specifically about me.  I'm serious.)

Maybe I am using the word 'crush' in an inappropriate way here.  But at least it sounds fun and made for really fun conversation!   Does anyone else have crushes on members of the same sex?  Or am I just crazy?  Girls- try to get a boy to admit his man crush.  It's harder than it seems.  Let me know how it goes.

4 comments:

Delia D'Nell said...

I have no girl crushes. But there are people I would like to get to know or spend time with. Saying I have a girl crush makes me feel weird and icky. I think it is the word "crush" that gets us in trouble.

The women I would like to get to know would be wives of presidents or princess or queens...maybe I just want to be a princess and am jealous...hmmmm...

Blue Ribbon Family said...

Yep... I have a girl crush on Gwen Stefani. She is the epitome of gorgeous, plus she is herself no matter what people think of her. I dont know if i would use the words crush, myself, but it completely made sense when you explained it! ;)

McGraw said...

There are such things as man crushes, and don't any of you guys try to deny it. I think it all started with our Dads and John Wayne. I haven't meant one older guy my dad's age that isn't a huge John Wayne fan. Moving on from them we have Charlton Heston and Jimmy Stewart for the older folks.
The Fact is there are a ton of movies you'll watch just cause one guy in particular is in it. Cause you are fond of them. It pretty much means any guy you look up too or emulate, or just would want his life. He is your man Crush.

Don said...

The honest truth... I don't have a man crush - honest!

Man, this blog post takes me back to one night at Goodwood... a dinner conversation... an interesting dinner conversation.

Hmmmm....... :)